2013 Favorites (Old and New)

This is going to be my last post of 2013!

I can't believe that this year is already over...  So many things happened this year and I'm thankful for everything :)

I also started this blog in 2013 and have had so much fun writing blog posts on the things that I like - makeup and beauty related things! haha
Thank you to everyone who has stopped by my blog and read my posts/wrote comments :D With school and my part time job, sometimes I don't have much time to write posts, but I'll definitely continue my blog!

To wrap up this year, I decided to do a 2013 favorites post.  I included both an "old" and "new" favorite item. The old item is a favorite from before 2013 and the new favorite is an item that I purchased in 2013 and something that I have been loving this year. 

Base Makeup:
  • New: Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Foundation (53 Light Beige)
    • I don't like thick foundations no matter how flawless it makes your skin look.  I just don't like the feeling of having a mask on my face.  This foundation is super lightweight and it evens out my skin.  It's also moisturizing and lasts all day.  
    • I don't know where you can buy Bourjois in the U.S. but you can buy Bourjois through asos.  ($19.95)
  • Old: Canmake Marshmallow Finish Powder (MB = Matte Beige Ochre)
    • I bought this when I was in Japan and this is the best matte finishing powder that I own.  It's long wearing, keeps my t-zone from getting oily, great for touchups, and gives you smooth flawless looking skin.  
    • Canmake is a Japanese brand so you can't buy it in store in the U.S. but here's a link from amazon. ($19.84)
Cheek:
  • New: bare Minerals blush in horizon 
    • This blush has amazing staying power and great color payoff.  I definitely want to buy more colors and maybe try out the pressed version so I can travel with it easily.  
    • I did a review on it here
    • Horizon isn't sold anymore but there are other colors at sephora. ($19.00)
  • Old: Physicians Formula Happy Booster Glow & Mood Boosting Blush in Natural
    • I've had this blush for as long as I can remember and it is a great everyday color.  I gravitate towards this blush when I don't know what blush to wear.  I also own another color of the happy booster blush and it has great color payoff too.  The blush is cute too :D
    • ULTA ($11.99)

Eyes:
  • New: Bobbi Brown Long Wear Gel Eyeliner in 27 Caviar Ink
    • This is definitely a "long wear" eyeliner.  I really like the color too.  It's not as intense as using a straight up black eyeliner and it's perfect for everyday use for a natural look.
    • sephora ($23.00)
  • Old: Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette 
    • I love this palette.  I have a lot of shimmer-y eyeshadow palettes but mattes are so easy to use when it comes to everyday makeup.  I end up reaching for this palette everyday.  It's also a great travel palette and the quality of the eyeshadows are great (just like all the other Urban Decay shadows)
    • I did a review about this product here
    • sephora ($27.00)
  • Old: Too Faced Shadow Insurance Primer
    • I was sticking to only one product in each category but I just had to include this.  I use this everyday and this hasn't failed me at all.  My eyeshadow doesn't crease or fade throughout the day.  You only need a little bit and this tube has lasted me for over a year. 
    • sephora ($20.00)
Brows:
  • New: Chella Dazzling Dark Brown Eyebrow Color 
    • I got this in an ipsy glambag and I've been using this ever since.  It's the perfect color match for my brows and it lasts all day.  I use this to draw in the ends of my brows.  The pencil has a fine point so it's very easy to use to draw the ends.   
    • Chella website ($18.00)
  • Old: ELF Eyebrow Kit in Medium
    • I use this eyebrow kit everyday and his keeps my brows in check all day long.  Plus it's really cheap! I've hit pan on the wax but I've only made a dent on the powder.  I will definitely repurchase this when I'm done with this though.
    • I did a review about this product here
    • ELF website ($3.00)

Lips:
  • New: YSL Rouge Volupte in #17 Red Muse
    • First off, the packaging ... is gorgeous. haha #17 is a warm toned red and it goes well with my skin tone.  It has great color payoff and the formula is very creamy and it doesn't dry my lips out at all.  I also love the scent which is always a plus!  
    • sephora ($34.00)
  • Old: Buxom Full-On Lip Cream in Mudslide
    • I can't say enough about the Buxom lipglosses.  I LOVE the scent.  And I love the tingly feeling you get when you apply them.  Buxom also has a wide range of colors and finishes.  My favorite are the Lip Creams because they don't have any sparkle, just a glossy finish.  I especially like Mudslide because it's such a wearable color.  
    • sephora ($19.00)

Nails:
  • New: OPI Nail Envy Nail Strengthener
    • I started using this as a base coat and I feel like my nails are getting stronger.  I put this in as a favorite because I've been using this as a base coat non-stop ever since I bought this.
    • ULTA ($16.95)
  • Old:  Essie Mademoiselle
    • This is my go to nail polish.  It's almost completely clear but by layering a couple coats of this, it gives off a nice light pink healthy sheen.  It's a "my nails but better" color. haha
    • ULTA ($8.50)

Skincare:
  • New: Vaseline 
    • I remember using this when I was little but I've rediscovered this and it's definitely a favorite.  There are so many uses to this.  It's a great moisturizer, lip cream and makeup remover.  I have the smaller travel size and it's great to keep in your makeup bag.
    • target ($2.94)
  • Old: Biore Aqua Rich Watery Essence Sunscreen SPF 50
    • This is my favorite sunscreen and has been for the last couple of years.  I hate the smell and feeling of traditional sunscreen but this sunscreen is lightweight and it smells great too:)  I use this everyday before putting on base makeup.
    • I did a review on this product here
    • amazon ($13.49)
Perfume:



  • New: Marc Jacobs Dot
    • I'm really bad at describing scents so I just copied this from the Sephora website. haha
      "The exuberant top captivates with a delectable blend of red berries, succulent dragonfruit, and sweet honeysuckle. The lush floral heart of the fragrance blooms with the addictive beautiful jasmine, mingled with energizing notes of coconut water and orange blossom. The scent rounds out with a feminine dry down of creamy vanilla, driftwood, and sensual musks."  
    • A sales lady handed me a sample of this when I walked by the perfume sales counter and I fell in love with this scent.  A lot of my favorite perfumes are floral scented - I guess that's what I like in a perfume.  
    • sephora ($22.00 for the roller ball)
  • Old: Flora by Gucci Eau Fraîche
    • This has been my favorite perfume for a while now.  Here's the Sephora description (again. haha).  "Born of youthful elegance and subtle sensuality, Flora Eau Fraiche adds a bright, citrusy element to the Gucci fragrance family. The fragrance's mandarin top notes mingle with the piquant vibrancy of kumquat and bergamot fruit. In the heart notes, a transparent floral scent glimmers against an elegant base, one that blends an edgy peppery note with a warm touch of sandalwood. " 
    • I did a review on it here
    • sephora ($49.00 for 1 oz bottle)




Hair:
  • New: Remmington T-Studio Ceramic Pearl Professional Curling Wand
    • I finally got a curling wand! It's a tapered 1 in - 1.5 in wand.  This heats up super fast.  I love how my hair looks when I curl it with this wand.  It's easy to create loose natural looking waves. 
    • remmington website ($29.99)
  • Old: Tresemme Heat Tamer Spray
    • This has been my go to heat protector spray.  I'm finally reaching the end of this! This smells good and it's easy to use since it has a spray nozzle.  
    • I did a review on it here
    • ULTA ($5.49)
Other:

  • Voluspa Candle in Santiago Huckleberry
    • I have never been so obsessed with a candle before.  haha I want to buy the whole set of Santiago Huckleberry candles.  I originally saw these at Anthropologie and I was bit skeptical because this small candle costs $10....BUT the scent is AMAZING.  Let me insert the scent description here: "Voluspa Santiago Huckleberry Candle is the combination of ripe huckleberry mixed with vanilla pods and crushed sweet sugar cane for a sweet, delicious scent."  If you love sweet scents, definitely go check this out at Anthropologie.  You will fall in love. 
    • anthropologie website ($10.00 for the smaller jar) You can buy the bigger candle here (also at Anthropologie)
  • Ted Baker Makeup Bag
    • I saw a Ted Baker store when I went to Boston and I had to go in - they have the cutest makeup bags.  I have been using this as my everyday makeup bag and it's the perfect size.  
    • I couldn't find the same makeup bag, it might be an old design.  But, I found some similar ones by Ted Baker.  zappos ($45.00) and nordstrom ($35.00)

Recently Purchased Favorites:
I bought these products in November/December so I haven't had much time to use them many times but I have been loving these products so I had to include them.  

  • REN Invisible Pores Detox Mask
    • Recently I've been interested in skin care and I saw a couple of my favorite youtube beauty guru's raving about this product so I had to try this out.  I love how this makes my skin feel smooth and it soaks up the oils from my pores. (It's kind of gross but you can see where you have the most oil from how the mask dries up).
    • sephora ($34.00)
  • Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder in Translucent
    • This was the first Translucent powder that I've ever tried out and I was kind of stuck between getting this one or the Make Up For Ever HD Translucent powder but I am glad I got this one! It's very finely milled and it makes my skin looking airbrushed and adds the perfect finishing touch to my base makeup.
    • sephora ($35.00)
  • it Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ Cream in Medium
    • I saw MakeupbyTiffanyD's blog post/youtube video about this and I wanted to try this out.  (This is her blog post here).  So far I have been loving this CC cream.  It's super lightweight and moisturizing and it evens out my skin.  It also has SPF 50 which is always a plus.  But, I do recommend using a setting powder with this because my t-zone got oily after wearing this without a setting powder.  I like to use a setting powder anyways so that isn't a problem for me.  
    • ULTA ($38.00)


This ended up being such a long post. haha

Please let me know if you had any 2013 favorite makeup products - I always love trying out new makeup items:)

I hope you guys have a great New Year's Eve!
post signature

Comments